02 August 2008

First day out and about


Where to begin? Well, Liz, Amy and I decided to go to the mall (yes, there is a mall). It was pretty nice but it being Saturday there were TONS of people and the traffic was unbelievable. You think the 270/23 interchange in Columbus is bad...trying to leave the mall was way worse. First, there aren't many traffic laws to speak of in Ghana. There are really no lanes painted on the ground and even if there were I'm sure people would pay no attention to them. Ever seen that YouTube video of people driving in India? It's kind-of like that. Never will I drive in Ghana. So when we were leaving the mall, I was in my first Ghanaian (Guh-nay-an) car accident! It wasn't bad but William, our driver, was pretty peeved about it and got out of the car and started yelling at the drive of the other. That's kind-of how they handle these things here, hah. Long story short and a few police stations later, things turned out fine.


Liz and I got phones, too! They don't work yet, haha. We'll figure it out tomorrow. We also had our first oranges today! See above right picture... Here, they take most of the skin off somehow and then just cut the top off and you sqeeze and drink the juice. Yummy.
Tomorrow we're all going to an orphange where one of the couples preaches once a month. I think we also hang out with the kids some and make bracelets. I'm not sure yet but it should be fun :-) Then we're going to dinner at a hotel with Jon and his friends! Should be a fun Sunday!

No comments: