27 January 2010

Salsa is a messy endeavor

First, let me start the story by saying that the Mozley family is one of the coolest and most amazing families ever. Always having us teachers over for dinner last year and then a few times this year... Always willing to open up their home when the power was out and we were facing a night with "sleeping" in miserable conditions... Always just there being amazing and such a fantastic blessing from God for us teachers. Anyway, they left at the beginning of this year (literally, beginning of January) and Amanda and I bought their blender! Okay, well, we had every intention of buying it from them but then we never saw Claire or Michael to give them the money and so effectively, we stole it. Sooooooorry Mozley family! If I'm ever in Atlanta first thing I'm doing is paying you guys back for that blender. The point is that we now have the blender and can make the patented Mozley salsa! Ingredients: tomatoes, onions, peppers. When you combine that with homemade pita chips = delicious taste of heaven! So last night, Amanda and I decided that some salsa is exactly what we needed on a Tuesday night. I chopped, Amanda baked chips. Here's how it turned out:Yep.

You let Amanda loose in the kitchen and this is the result. Instead of taking the entire blender off the base, she unscrewed the plastic part and it was salsa city all over the counter. Fortunately we were able to save a lot of it as seen in the bowl I'm holding in the second picture on the right. Unfortunately this is a common occurance in our kitchen - baking soda all over the counter and floor, peanut butter all over the floor... lots of food for the ants! hahaha.

Also unfortunately, the salsa explosion was not the worst part of the evening. Remember the peppers I mentioned that are an ingredient for the salsa? Well, I cut them up and I've never had a problem before but this time, a little while later, underneath two of my nails on my left hand started to burn. BURN. I washed my hands a few times, let water run... nothing was helping. I took a shower... nothing. Then I decided to do this...Soak my fingers in milk while having a little me and Jesus time. I was working on the Beth Moore study that we're doing on Monday night's when the burning started and I tried to continue as the burning got worse and worse. Oh and see the empty chocolate chip cookie wrapper in the background? Meg, Amanda, and I had a chocolate chip cookie feast just before all the burning started. Aaaaaaaaaamazing. So, you're probably wondering if soaking my fingers in milk helped. It didn't. It DIDN'T. That's when I decided to cut back my nails as far as they would go in the hopes that I would then be able to get in there and clean out whatever pepper juice had lodged itself in there. I washed and washed and I even used rubbing alcohol. Instead of relieving the burning it UNLEASHED it! Now instead of burning only under my nails it was all over my first finger. Seriously thought I was going to have to chop it off. More rubbing alcohol and more washing... I prayed. I PRAYED. Finally the burning started to fade after a while and I was able to go to sleep.


Sooo, that's about all that's been going on here.

I'll leave you with the two take home messages from Chemistry class today...

Cosmic rays don't come from Mars.
Drugs are bad.



Hope everyone is doing amazing! :-D

1 comment:

Mariah S said...

Oh man about your burning fingers!??! oh no!

Yummy salsa... and funny about the blender!