02 November 2008

Sunday

Not much has been going on! The most exciting part has been Halloween. They don't celebrate Halloween in Ghana like we do in the States because here, a lot of people believe in what they call "juju" (I'm not sure if that's how you spell it but that's how it sounds). Juju is like voodoo or black magic. So in the States Halloween is mostly about dressing up in funny costumes and getting candy whereas here people would pay more attention to some of the darker meanings behind it. Anyway, at school we had "Storybook Dress Up Day" on Friday and some of the kids went all out! It was so fun. Instead of first period, we ended up having a costume parade out under the pavillion and it was so fun to be able to see everyone's costumes. I posted a bunch of pictures on here for everyone to see and here's the link to even more...Check it out because there are some great ones!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2254867&l=8a861&id=7703737

The top picture is of me and Barbara, who is the middle and high school math teacher. She dressed up as the imaginary number "i," which I assure you is a math concept. I dressed up as the "Doppler Effect," which again, I assure you is a science concept. The point was that in my books my characters are scientific concepts and I sort of copied from one of the best shows ever, "The Big Bang Theory," when Sheldon dressed up as the Doppler Effect. Nobody got it but I thought it was awesome. Here's another picture, one of my 6th grade math class!


They're not as innocent as they look :-)

Pretty much the last exciting thing that happened this week is...


WE GOT A COUCH!!! It's amazing and wonderful and great to not have to sit on wicker furniture or at the kitchen table with the uncomfortable wood chairs. The best part is that now we can sit together and watch movies! It's just so great to have a comfortable common area, now - even if we do have to cover it with sheets because it smells, haha. Living in Ghana doesn't give you the option to be choosy.

Completely unrelated - I'm so glad I finally checked Dublin Baptist's website to find Darrell's sermons are posted online! I've been listening to them for the past couple Sunday's and it's awesome. I'm worried about next week though since it seems that the audio for the next couple sermons is unavailable for some reason. Guess I'll have to go back to some old sermon's to listen to. The one I listened to today was about worship and how it brings joy to God when we worship him. My favorite part was when Darrell talked about how the key to peace and joy is surrender to God. The key to getting over being unhappy about all the bugs and crap that Ghana brings is remembering that God has me here for a purpose and surrendering to that purpose everyday. Because really, ants are EVERYWHERE and it's such a source of stress in all of our lives. You might think, "Oh ants big deal, get over it Elyse." But really, we left a plate with a banana peel on it out for about an hour to come back and find it SWARMING with ants. There are ants on the floor, ants on the counter, ants in your bags - everywhere. You tell me that that wouldn't grate on your nerves. Anyway, that's my beef with Ghana today :-)

Hope all is well in America! I miss fall. Take lots of pictures for me!

No comments: