So, the title of this post originally was "I like Ghana...today" but that was yesterday, Saturday, BEFORE the power went off for the umpteenth time this week in the middle of my doing laundry and being productive with e-mails and blogging. Sigh. Yesterday ended up being pretty good though - again thanks mostly to the Mozley family who are amazing! Amanda, Meg, Ashley and I headed off to the mall to use our free movie passes we got last weekend when the power went off DURING the movie. Amanda, Meg and I saw "The International" while the rest of the house girls saw "Marley and Me." "The International" was pretty good - Clive Owen is great! After that we headed across the mall to Game (think Target but smaller and not as cool) where they were having a soccer competition - in which Meg took 2nd place!!! Yep, little white girl beat a bunch of Ghanaian's and won two soccer balls, a towell, 2 pairs of socks, and 2 pairs of Nike soccer cleats. Picture...

After going home and dropping off our stuff we headed over to the Mozley's for dinner where Michael Mozley made us quesadillas - with CHEESE! It was just sooooooo good. "Remember the Titans" is also a very good movie which before last night, I had never seen - nice job Denzel. Thankfully, the power is on right now and hopefully it will stay on.
Okay, let’s catch up on some other stuff. It's been a while :-)
Last weekend and this entire last week has been a huge MESS of no power. Meg is writing a blog about that and since she’s a much better writer than I am, I fully intend on stealing her story and posting it here. So, update on that to come :-) For now – here’s a picture of my new shelves!

Even with all the power nonsense, Friday ended up being a great day! First, it was Friday and just by definition Friday’s are great because that means it’s the start of the weekend at Okay, so technically it’s supposed to be 3:20pm but Amanda and I were so out of school right at 3pm. We came home, I threw some laundry in the washer (haven’t been able to do that for more than two weeks – thank you ECG, power company), we read for a while, ran outside and bought Fan Yogo as the little guy went by (YUM), ran on the treadmill, had dinner – typical Friday night. A bit after Meg got home (from a not so good soccer practice – thank you Ghanaians who don’t get that white people can LIVE in Ghana, too) Amanda and I decided to walk and get some fruit and crackers at this new shop that’s popped up close by. Every time I walk past this shop there is something new – the first time it was just the shop, next time it had a nice stone patio part, next time it had an awning, then they added tables and chairs, now there are lights and even dividers to shield you a bit from the road – it’s a great little place!!! It also just so happened that Friday night across the street from this place they were setting up chairs and sound equipment to have an outdoor church service. When we got back home we talked to Meg and all decided to head back to this new little place – I’ll call it Rosemary’s, that’s the lady’s name who runs it – enjoy the music from the church service and play some cards. After applying liberal amounts of bug spray – a necessity – we headed out to Rosemary’s and played a pretty competitive game of Phase 10 – Meg won! Seven bags of peanuts and a few drinks later we were commenting about how much we really appreciate Ghanaian culture – sometimes. We were also lamenting the fact that no one at home will ever truly know what it’s like to live here. Friday night we were sitting in patio chairs playing cards being stared at by children (okay, and adults), watching stray dogs run around, next to an open gutter, across from a church service where people were speaking – LOUDLY – in tongues, watching people in Mercedes drive by the people sleeping on the side of the road. Ghana is such a combination of opposites it’s funny sometimes. Anyway, it ended up being so much fun just hanging out and relaxing at Rosemary’s – we’re definitely going back!
So there's a small part of what's going on here! Miss you all in the States! I'm looking forward to coming home for the summer in just over two months :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment